Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Sunrise, Beginnings, and the Miracle of Daybreak

Full disclosure:  getting up in the middle of the night and driving (usually) to a location known for its sunrise views is an exercise in self-inflicted torture for me.  I've done it so infrequently I could count the times on one hand.  So I was pleasantly surprised recently too discover (while rummaging through my image files) this set of sunrise photos taken while in the Cayman Islands almost four years ago.   Metaphorically speaking, I was in the "beginning" stages of my photography journey (similar to the sun's movement toward the break of day).   I seem to recall that at that time I didn't think these images were all that great.  What???  What was I thinking???  I look at them now and can barely believe that I took them.  Of course, the location and view helped me along.

So how did I manage to rip myself out of my slumber to take them? Well, I was at a friend's house and the porch overlooked the beach and ocean.  I remember sitting on that porch, in my nightgown, not quite awake but setting up the camera, and just waiting for the show to begin.  The 6 photos you see in this collage were taken sequentially with probably no more than a half an hour between the first and last one you see.   No editing has been done to them.  What is most amazing to me (aside from the fact that I took them!) is the way the sunrise unfolds; the way color changes from one to the other; the reflections on the water; and the brilliance and miracle of another day.

Oh, to be able to repeat this experience....



And so I leave you with this quote:

“Sunrise looks spectacular in the nature; sunrise looks spectacular in the photos; sunrise looks spectacular in our dreams; sunrise looks spectacular in the paintings, because it really is spectacular!” 

― Mehmet Murat ildan

To view more of my photography on Etsy click here:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/KateRyanFineArt

No comments:

Post a Comment